Thursday 1 October 2015

 
PLEATED PATCHWORK
 
I'd been making some clothes recently and had to sew pleats.
 
I thought it would be interesting to use these on patchwork blocks too.
 
So, yesterday, I experimented.
 
Before ironing!
 
Machine-stitched pleats onto a strip of cloth.
 
* No measuring, no markings
 
* The width of each pleat and the spacing between them are different
 
* A few pleats are straight, others are slanting
 
* On the gingham and purple flower blocks, cross-pleats were added
(sorry, not the best photo – please look closely!)
 
 
I do like the texture created by the pleats.
 
The effect is best on solid colour fabric and not prints.
 
Making all blocks pleated is too much for the eye to handle.
 
But I think ONE pleated/textured block in the centre
surrounded by plain blocks can be very interesting indeed!



~Ema N~
 
 Linking up with AHIQ.
 
Grab button for AHIQ
 
Photos and text belong to the author of this blog, unless otherwise stated.
Please do not use without permission.


8 comments:

  1. I agree that the added texture is interesting. I wonder what my longarmer would say to me if I added pleats into a quilt top . . . would she quilt around them and allow them to puff up or would she stitch through them and flatten them . . . I think pleats on a pillow cover would be marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been playing a while back with all kinds of pleating on plain calico (muslin). It's great to see what different effects can be achieved. For example, pleats on the diagonal behave very differently from straight pleats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun idea. I've always liked pleats and smocking and gathers on anything. And I actually think I like the pleats and cross pleats on the gingham the best. But I really like gingham too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting idea. The cross pleats must have been difficult but very effective. I wonder how pleats would look with striped fabric? Yikes, now you've got me going. Thanks for linking up to AHIQ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so original Ema! I'm very intrigued with your idea and think it adds a wonderful element to your improv piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I've never thought of this as a way of adding texture to a piece but it's great! I especially like the way you see the shadows and shapes in the central purple piece. Thanks for sharing on AHIQ - I am putting this on my mental 'must have a go' list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea, and I agree, perhaps a whole quilt would be a bit much. I had been reading books about fabric manipulation and thinking about something like this. You beat me to it! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this. I've been reading a book about fabric manipulation and mulling over what to do with it one day. Lightbulb!

    ReplyDelete