Friday 15 May 2015

 
MATCHSTICK FLOWER BROOCHES

The theme for Le Challenge this month is “Wood”.
 
I thought I'd give it a go but with self-imposed limits.
 
 No new purchases allowed, use existing materials and tools only.
 
And it must be done in three hours ---
the time it takes to boil the herbal chicken soup I'm making for lunch.
 
The soup pot went on the stove at 8am and I got started.
 
These were the only wood things in the house that could be used:
 

I sawed off the burnt end of the matchstick using a knife with a serrated edge.
 
Looking at the wooden stick, I immediately thought of a flower...
the kind little kids like to draw.
 
I have beads, crimp end cap and fine gauge wire to make stick flowers.


Here's where I got stuck. What is it going to be?

A hairpin? A pendant? What?!

I couldn't resolve it.
 
The clock was ticking away.......
 
I turned down the gas so the soup would cook on a very slooow simmer.
 
Then out of the blue, I got it!
 
A single flower bouquet.
 
 
Cream coloured ribbon as the “paper wrap”,
a green ribbon tie and a brooch pin sewn on the back.
 
Done!
 
Four hours and ten minutes.
 
It was a morning well spent.
 
:-)
 
~Ema N~

Linking up with Le Challenge.


 

 
 
 
 
 
 
Photos and text belong to the author of this blog, unless otherwise stated.
Please do not use without permission.


2 comments:

  1. Oh that is so sweet!! A great use of materials and how fun to set a time limit too! Thanks for linking to le challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your challenge of using only what you have on hand. And clever use of all the materials. The brooch is so pretty. And I like that you thought of simmering the soup to give yourself a bit more time.

    ReplyDelete